Sunday, June 2, 2019

Q746: WHY Was The First PHILIPPINE NUCLEAR POWER PLANT (PNPP-1) Mothballed?


Credit: CBS/Barnaby Lo

It was actually pre-planned as a political failure not unless a sufficient budget was set aside to satisfy the hungry wolf's pocket! Is this right presumption, Lope?

Jose Macaranas



Lope Columna Joey, I cannot say that it was directly pre-planned as a political failure. It was just one of the results of the political EDSA 1. As I remembered, EDSA 1 occurred in 1986, just TWO (2) WEEKS BEFORE the official Start-Up of the Nuclear CHAIN REACTION to happen inside the PNPP-1 Reactor. This Nuclear Reactor Startup has already obtained a License or approval from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and from its local counterpart => The Philippine Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC).

If the Nuclear Chain Reaction happened AFTER EDSA 1, then, PNPP-1 would not have been mothballed. This is because a Nuclear Chain Reaction inside a Nuclear-Fueled Reactor cannot be stopped; it can only be controlled.

You know, the Nuclear Plant is a Marcos Project. And the Cory Administration that replaced Marcos is allergic to everything that is of Marcos attachment. So, the PNPP-1 was mothballed. By the way, most People called the Nuclear Power Plant as BNPP; but, its official name is PNPP-1.

Arnel Amador It was mothballed not only because of political reasons but also due to numerous documented construction safety violations. I'm sure that there were no doubts about the capability of Filipino engineers to operate the Nuclear Power Plant.

I read that the contractor had to cut corners so they could earn a profit building the plant after providing a substantial % of the bid price to the powers that be at that time.

Lope Columna During that early time, the Plant was entirely safe. The supposed safety violations were exaggerated by the anti-nuke people. For example, a door may be misaligned a bit, and it was already listed as safety violation. If there be safety violations they could be easily corrected. This is the reason why the price of the Plant ballooned from 1.2 Billion US Dollars to 2.2 Billion US Dollars

The almost DOUBLE THE PRICE is due to the incorporation/installation of so many Engineered Safety Features (ESFs) that resulted primarily from the lessons learned from the Three-Mile Island Nuclear Plant incident. But, of course, when we talked about today, after more than 30 years, I would not recommend the Nuclear Side of PNPP-1 to be operated.

But, the Balance of Plant (BOP) components can still be used. These include the Steam Turbine & AC Generator and their Auxiliaries. Otherwise, we have to build a NEW Nuclear Power Plant, if ever.

Arnel Amador I bet the training was memorable and it made you a better engineer. What did they do to the engineers after the BNPP was mothballed? I thought you stayed with NPC for awhile.

Lope Columna Yes. After PNPP-1 was mothballed, we were given the freedom to transfer to the various Departments of NPC. I transferred to the Human Resources Department, under the Technical Training Division. I was exposed, then, to the many and diversified Corporate Training of NPC employees and engineers. Thus, I was exposed to the various Training and Technologies of Hydroelectric Power Plants, Fossil-Fired (Bunker and Diesel) Thermal Power Plants, Geothermal, etc. This is what I really like, and it had given me these unique opportunities. 


I'm very grateful to the NPC or NAPOCOR for all those Scholarships, Trainings, Experience, and Expertise I gained through my 12-year works and study in NAPOCOR. 

In the year 1990, I resigned from NAPOCOR, and I developed and offered the many Technical Courses to the many Multi-National Corporations in the Philippines. With the Top Corporations in the country attending to my seminars, and many of them requested In-House Trainings, I was also exposed to the Culture and Problems of the Manufacturing Sector. Thus, I offered them Technical Courses in the field of Efficient Design, Operation, and Maintenance of all the Equipment, Machinery, and Energy Systems in their Facilities.

Arnel Amador That's great Lope. Both NPC and PNOC are great companies to start your engineering career. In my case however, I was limited to geothermal energy. Just like you, I was lucky to be selected for a scholarship to the Geothermal Institute at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. I stayed for many years with PNOC throughout the pioneering years of the 1980's where we built several geothermal fields and power plants. But unlike you, I did not resign. I took the MRP or Management Reduction Program where I got tax-free severance package! Another job was already waiting for me at that time. So I took the money and left the Philippines in 1991.

Lope Columna You also have a great engineering career, Arnel. Keep it up, and keep going!


By the way, thank you all guys, for your questions and comments. Yes, your comments and questions unearthed many untold stories and facts about BNPP or PNPP-1, direct from one of the "horses' mouth!"

For more information, go to the following articles:

1. Q745: I Bet The Selection Process For The Nuclear Plant Was Tough, Right Lope? You Have To Pass Through The "EYE OF A NEEDLE" or The Method Was I Believed as The "Inverted Triangle." 

2. Q743: You Never Considered Working Overseas To Earn More Money and Gain Experience?
3. Q114: CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THE NUCLEAR FUSION PROCESS?

Copyright 2019 © LOPE COLUMNA
GOD'S 21st CENTURY END-TIME MESSENGER & BIBLE EXPLAINER
The WORLD'S ONLY END-TIME PREACHER OF THE EVERLASTING TRUE GOSPEL OF
 MESSIANIC KABBALAH WISDOM OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD


No comments:

Post a Comment